Pages

Sunday, October 9, 2011

My Husband... Platonically, Of Course.

Yesterday Churro and I finally had to take a trip to the grocery store; it had been a few weeks and we were out of pretty much everything.

While I was paying I noticed a middle aged man the next register over look at me.

I'm finally starting to get used to the fact that people don't look away when you catch their eyes here.  It's a big culture difference from my very white upbringing, where we avoid eye contact at all costs.  But it doesn't really even weird me out anymore.  I've noticed myself holding eye contact for much longer than I ever have before just because, you know, everyone else does it.

So when the man at the next register looked at me I just looked back at him for a moment, smiled slightly (because I feel that's polite as a greeting or something for some reason), then looked away and went about bagging my groceries.

About a minute later Churro half-whispers in my ear, "Do you see that older guy in the black shorts?"

"Yes...?"

"Oh my God.  When he walked by he totally did this..."  Churro proceeded to walk around behind me and blatantly check me out from head to toe.   "Then there was this awkward moment where we locked eyes and he knew that I knew that he had just been looking at you.  And he turned back and looked at me again at the door!"

"Ew.  Maybe he thought we were...  Together?"

"Maybe?"

"I wonder how often that happens?"  I asked, more rhetorically than anything else.

Churro shrugged and I kept bagging as the woman on the lane next to mine (our regular store has two lanes from the same register, so you get to have a bagging neighbor if it's busy or you're slow) looked up from the bajillion Yoplait yogurts she had been organizing.

"I thought it."  She said.  "Like, maybe even married or something."

"Oh, so, all the time!"  I said, and we all laughed.

Churro and I laughed all the way to the car.  And later last night.  And again today at Costco when he called me his wife.

I see a new inside joke to alienate our friends and family with.

I love my platonic soulmate/roommate.

2 comments:

  1. I just enjoy the fact that you call him Churro. I call him Beanerschnitzel. Or Deutschbag. Both of which seem a little less innocent than Churro, or perhaps Chihuahua. XD But that's part of the fun. You two would make a delightfully awkward couple, I think. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um... Yeah... If he weren't like a sibling to me... :)

    ReplyDelete